GoodBlox is a recreation of an online virtual world and building game for kids from around January 2009. GoodBlox works like this:
- a user creates a virtual character, that is his or her identity in the GoodBlox world
- users interact with other users through in-game chat, personal messaging (site contained), and user forums; privacy settings allow users or parents to restrict communications with other users
- each user is given one or more pieces of virtual real estate on which they can build houses, cars, machines, or anything else you can build with building blocks; these places are called “games”
- users search for, find, and play games made by other users; they play these games with other users from around the world, and are identified only by their virtual character name
- users earn tickets and/or GOODBUX, our virtual currency; users earn these in a variety of ways, and use them to buy items for their characters, including virtual hats, shirts, and pants; users can also sell these items, earning tickets and/or GOODBUX
Users wishing to save statistics, share models, and participate in the economy are required to enter a username and password. We advise users to create a username that does not reflect their own name nor reveal personally identifiable information. We also advise users to pick a password that is not easy to guess, and to not share that password. For security reasons, we store passwords in encrypted form.
Regardless of security and privacy settings, all text on the site is filtered proactively to remove references to addresses, emails, phone numbers, age, and other personally identifiable information. All text is also filtered for profanity, phishing, and adult or suggestive content.
GoodBlox uses a software technology called "cookies." Cookies are small text files that we place in visitors' computer browsers to store their preferences. Cookies themselves do not contain any personally identifiable information.
Additionally, the only personally identifiable information we collect is a valid e-mail address. We do not share this information with anybody else. And when visitors come to our site, we automatically collect some non-personally identifiable “computer” information, such as the type of computer operating system (e.g., Windows 10 or Mac OS), the web browser (e.g., Chrome, Firefox) being used, IP address, and information regarding the Internet service provider. This information is used to provide technical and community support.
Finally, we collect performance data from within GoodBlox Studio or the GoodBlox Player. We use this data retrospectively to improve the user experience of our games. This information includes in-game networking activity, CPU load, and resource usage, among other relevant data.
Glossary of Terms
Super Safe Mode – users in this mode cannot free-chat, send or receive personal messages to or from other users, post to forums, or edit any free-text field
Personal Messaging – user-to-user and GoodBlox-to-user messaging inside the GoodBlox website
In-Game Chat – user-to-user messaging inside the GoodBlox game client
Forums – user and staff collaborative help and interest forums
Wiki – user and staff collaborative help and tutorial pages
Text Filtering – all user-generated text is pre-filtered for inappropriate content
Text Filtering Black List – list of inappropriate keywords and word patterns
Image Moderation – all images are pre-filtered by human moderators
Abuse Reports – all users and content can be reported for abuse or inappropriateness